On 11 Jan 2022 at 19:38, Haudy Kazemi via EV wrote:

> If/when Tesla actually opens up the US Supercharging network to EVs from
> other manufacturers will be a very telling point, as then any compatible EV
> will also have long range road trip capabilities, meaning a Tesla vehicle is
> no longer special in that regard.

They've already started in Europe.

I don't know a lot about this, but had the impression that some Tesla
Supercharger stations already were open to non-Tesla EVs, I guess (?) at
lower power.  Don't quote me on that.

I also vaguely recall reading somewhere (can't find the refernce now, of
course) that some (all?) EU nations were looking at legally forcing Tesla to
open up their high power Supercharger network to all EVs, in the name of
competition.  Don't quote me on that either.

In November 2021 Tesla began to voluntarily open the EU Supercharger
network, maybe to forestall such legislation.

Last time I was in France, I was already seeing charging stations going up,
and built, at aires (plazas) along the A10 motorway (major north-south
route).  A lot of them were adjacent to Total gas stations and I suppose
might have been owned by Total, which seems to be sensibly hedging its EU
oil bets by getting into EV charging.

Most  EU nations, at least the forward looking Western Europe ones, are
quite keen to encourage EV adoption and offer subsidies for these commercial
stations.  (Also for home charging points.)

Not all of them so far are reported to be full power.  Some bollards at
least are limited to 50kW.  So Tesle could offer EU EVers some real benefit
by offering 150kW or more CCS DC charging, IF they don't throttle their
Superchargers for non-Teslas.

That said, as of early 2021, Tesla had only about 600 Supercharger stations
in all of the EU, compared with something like 2,600 in the US.  So, again,
Europe doesn't seem to have really been a high priority for Tesla up to now.

Opening their EU Supercharger network is certainly likely to help EU EV
owners, and maybe placate regulators.  As to whether it will make a
significant difference either way in their EU EV sales, I can't say.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which
     dictatorships are made.

                                      -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt