From: "John Lussmyer via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: "Peri Hartman via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "John Lussmyer" <cou...@casadelgato.com>
Sent: 09-Apr-24 08:18:28
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Tesla settles with family

On 4/9/2024 7:46 AM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
So, I've never driven a tesla, or any car with some level of self driving. What
I'm wondering is, if you keep your hands on the wheel and an eye on the road,
are you driving or is FSD driving ? Alternatively, if you lapse your attention,
even with hands on the wheel, and FSD makes a mistake, will you have time to
regain control ?

Generally, with FSD you need to put a tiny bit of pressure on the steering
wheel periodically.  It does all the driving.
You can take control any time - as soon as you put a significant steering, or
press a pedal, it gives control to you.
Though it will override you if you do something like try to accelerate into the
back of another vehicle, or turn directly into another vehicle.

One thing to keep in mind with all the stories of "FSD Killed my friend", is
that:
A) Many of those are very old, and the software is (literally) orders of
magnitude better now.
B) A large number of them have been verified that the driver was NOT paying
attention, and in some cases had done stupid things like hanging a weight on
the steering wheel so it thought they were paying attention.  (yeah, Tesla's
are now using the cabin camera to try and prevent crap like that.)
C) More of them have been tracked to the person NOT using FSD - but claiming
they were.  This is usually easily discredited.
D) Yes, some accidents ARE due to FSD not making the correct decision - but
that is why it still requires you to pay attention.

And in general, drivers using FSD are currently getting in FAR fewer accidents
that drivers that don't.
HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/