On 4/9/2024 12:00 PM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
John, I agree with all your points. However, I don't think they really answer my question. Let me try to rephrase.

If you are driving with FSD and paying full attention, what is FSD doing for you ? If your attention lapses and FSD keeps you safe for a moment, that's great. But how is that different from not paying attention for a longer period of time ? The only difference I can see is that the longer you let FSD drive, the higher the chance (albeit very small) that FSD will make a mistake.

While I pay attention, it's also easier to talk with passengers, and not as tiring as doing all the driving. FSD is also dealing with changing lanes, adjusting for speed limit changes, avoiding accidents - including those that are coming from places you don't normally watch, like behind you, or off to one side. It deals with navigation as well, and will adjust the route if needed. The most recent version of FSD (which I haven't had a chance to try yet, it's my friends Tesla.) is getting pretty close to actually being FSD. Quite a few people are posting significant trips with no "interventions" needed.
(Also note: FSD is NOT the same thing as AutoPilot)

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/