On 4/9/2024 4:18 PM, EV List Lackey via EV wrote:
response to "Tesla" among the non-EV-fans I talk to is usually either
"battery fires" or "autopilot accidents."

Battery Fires I place the blame squarely on the Media.
Gas cars burn FREQUENTLY, and those often don't even make the local news nowadays.

1. Software state: What other auto manufacturer would allow its customers to
beta-test its driving assistance features?

I'm not so sure of that. There are so few other Driver Assistance packages that are anywhere near the FSD level, AND so few cars using those others.

2. Controls: Nonstandard. Newbie-confusing.  Too much on a touchscreen, so
you take your eyes off the road for too long.

Umm, not if you are used to driving a Tesla. Frankly I haven't driven one much, probably < 1000 miles total. I learned very quickly how to do things, especially since the voice commands work very well, so I never had to use the screen to fiddle with the wipers or heater.

I should note that I've had MORE issues with lane wandering when driving my F250 - as you have to lean over to work with the radio or heater.

Also, likely one of the main issues for Hertz drivers.

3. Power: Too much.  Stupid power amplifies stupid drivers' stupidity.

I'd bet that is one of the main issues for Hertz drivers.

4. Drivers: Seems like "Tesla driver" is the new "BMW driver."

Mainly because Tesla's are NEW so get more attention.
I'd be interesting to see the traffic violation rates of BMW owners vs Tesla owners.

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/