Cor, yes, you are 100% correct, but there are also many shitty EVSEs out
there that aren't "well designed" or even UL listed.  They are all over
Amazon, and people buy more of them every day.

As proof, I have several that were given to me that trip the upstream GFCI
as soon as they are connected, without even needing to connect an EV!
(Assumably the POST is causing it, but I did not verify)

Regardless, I still advise hardwire for all daily use EVSEs, as this is all
too common:  https://ingineerix.com/pic/?melty1450

A capacitive dropper might be safer than a resistor for leakage current
detection, but could also just use the microcontroller to generate a LF AC
signal into a separate test coil (wound more turns).   That would be able
to precisely generate a repeatable test current which doesn't depend on the
incoming AC.

For a recommended wall-mount EVSE, I now steer people to Tesla's
well-designed combo unit that does 48A and both NACS and J1772:
https://shop.tesla.com/product/universal-wall-connector