Yes, the 12" restriction is because all EVSEs are required to have integral
GFCI protection, but of course this will do no good for wiring "before" the
EVSE, so they mandate this cable is as short as possible.   EVSEs are used
in mechanically hostile environments, so it's likely that a certain
percentage of EVSEs will get mechanical damage to the insulation on their
cords.   If that cord was before the integral GFCI, there would be no
protection, in addition, the cable from the EVSE to the car is electrically
dead until the handshake from the car is completed, so the likelihood of
getting shocked or electrocuted is much lower.   Not so with the cable from
the wall to the EVSE itself.