On 7/17/2011 10:38 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM, benjayk <benjamin.jaku...@googlemail.com <mailto:benjamin.jaku...@googlemail.com>> wrote:

    > But with comp, you are using "1+1=2", and much more, to tackle the
    > subjective truth of a universal number thinking about "1+1=2".
    So, if
    > you reject arithmetical truth, comp makes no much sense.
    I didn't write I reject arithmetical truth. I reject arithmetical
    realism; I
    don't think arithmetical truth exists seperately from its
    observer. 1+1=2 is
    still true, just not independently of us. The reason is that 1+1=2
    makes
    sense because it is true, and truth is fundamentally linked to a
    subject
    that intuits what truth is.
    This doesn't mean that 1+1=2 is true for me and not true for
    somebody else,
    but that is necessarily true because I (=consciousness, not ego)
    necessarily
    am.
    My hypothesis is that truth is equal to awareness / consciousness / "I
    am-ness" and all kind of expressions of truth are just... well,
    expressions
    of the truth and not independent of it. 1+1=2 is an expression of
    1+1 being
    itself as 2.
    This hypothesis makes everything mysterious, but this may just be
    as it is.
    The truth is necessarily mysterious. All explanations are just
    expressions
    of its mysterious nature, that allow us to look deeper into what
    it is, but
    never giving an explanation *for* it. It's beyond explanations, seeing
    itself through explanations.

Ben,

Would you say that e^*(2 * Pi * i) is exactly equal to 1, rather than approximately equal to 1?

If you believe that it is, you are believing in the independent existence of infinitely long numbers e and Pi, numbers which have never been fully grasped by any human, and potentially never grasped by any conscious being anywhere (due to their infinite nature).

Jason

That seems to turn on a certain meaning of "grasped". Looking at a finite decimal representation might be one meaning of "grasp" but it seems like an artificially impoverished one. "Pi is the ratio of the length of the circumference to the diameter of a plane circle." is also a finite representation and one that I find easier to grasp than , say, 10^10^100.