From: Evgenii Rudnyi
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-29, 13:21:39
Subject: Self-ascription and "Perfect Model Model"

Some more quotes from From Scientific Representation: Paradoxes of
Perspective by Bas C Van Fraassen.

p. 45 "Agreed, we cannot demonstrate that in principle, as a matter of
logic, mathematical modeling must inevitably be a distortion of what is
modeled, although models actually constructed cannot have perfection
reachable in principle. But on the other hand, the conviction that
perfect modeling is possible in principle - what Paul Teller calls the
"perfect model model" - does not have an a priori justification either!"

p. 83 "Suppose now that science gives us a model which putatively
represents the world in full detail. Suppose even we believe that this
is so. Suppose we regard ourselves as knowing that it is so. Then still,
before we can go on to use that model, to make predictions and build
bridges, we must locate ourselves with respect to that model. So
apparently we need to have something in addition to what science has
given us here. The extra is the self-ascription of location."

p. 83 "Have we now landed in a dilemma for our view of science as
paradigmatically objective? If we say that the self-ascription is a
simple, objective statement of fact, then science is inevitably doomed
to be objectively incomplete. If instead we say it is something
irreducibly subjective, then we have also admitted a limit to
objectivity, we have let subjectivity into science."

Evgenii
--
http://blog.rudnyi.ru/tag/bas-c-van-fraassen