On 10/30/2012 4:45 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

In this chapter, Van Fraassen has considered a map as a model for a
 typical model. A map is in the objective world, as well as a
scientific model, but to use the map one has to find out where on
the map he/she is located. I hope that you agree with that.

I don't agree with it because it's obviously false.  I just looked a
map to see how close Sandy came to my brother's home in Virginia.  I
didn't need to locate myself on that map.

In this case you need to locate your brother's home on that map. I do not see too much difference.

I would agree with you that my statement does not cover all possible cases that one could imagine to employ a map, but the act of location should be there anyway. There is a correspondence between a real world and a map but the map by itself does not coordinate the reality to itself. This is done by a human being.

Let me recall Van Fraassen's definition of a representation

p. 21 “Z uses X to depict Y as F”

The map seems to fit this pattern pretty well.

Could you imagine some case, when you use a map as a map and you do not need the act of location?

Evgenii
--
http://blog.rudnyi.ru/tag/bas-c-van-fraassen