On Friday, January 11, 2013 2:02:40 PM UTC-5, yanniru wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Craig Weinberg
> <whats...@gmail.com<javascript:>>
> wrote:

> >> No, light has a fixed velocity with or without the aether, it's a
> >> experimental result not a theory. So either the luminiferous aether
> does not
> >> exist or it does but doesn't do anything of interest, in which case
> >> physicists have better things to do with their time than investigate it
> >> further.
> >>
> >>   John K Clark
> >>

> > My understanding is that light has the same velocity as 'change' or
> 'news'
> > does, which is always 'the maximum possible rate in spacetime'. Light is
> not
> > literally present in a vacuum, but manifests only in the sensory-motor
> > qualities of matter. Its velocity is virtual.
> >
> > Craig
> What makes you think that light is not present in a vacuum?

My thinking is that:

   1. We wouldn't know the difference if light was or was not present in a
   vacuum.
   2. The only reason we assume that light is present in a vacuum is if we
   assume that light behaves like a substance.
   3. Light clearly does not behave like a substance. It doesn't accumulate
   or exist independently of illuminated substances.
   4. If light was actually only present at the source and target objects
   of illumination, we would get exactly the kinds of results when we looked
   at the behavior of light (velocity = c, mass = 0, ambiguous/paradoxical
   model of photon, odd non-local effects as seen in double-slit, can't slow
   down in a vacuum, etc)
   5. What we call light is a visual experience. EM radiation below the
   visible range is felt as heat. This means that the entirety of the
   character of the EM is defined by the receiver-transmitter relation. A
   microwave oven cooks water in food, but doesn't warm the walls like a
   conventional oven. This gives a hint at how EM effects arise from
   composition, scale, and structure of matter, not from bombardment by
   particles or waves which concretely exist in space.
   6. Once we have sensitivity as a fundamental principle of matter, we
   don't need to assume that everything is involuntarily pushed and pulled
   around - there can be consensual participation on all levels. Just as we
   feel the conditions of our environment and it influences our disposition,
   so too does everything in the entire universe have detection capacities of
   different sorts. The capacity of all matter to detect and respond to all
   matter is electromagnetism - i.e. electromagnetism is what sensory-motor
   interaction looks like from a distance. From this, we have a clear basis
   for biological narratives, human consciousness, etc. We are made of
   sensory-motor capacities on multiple levels. We see a summary of what our
   retinal cells see, not an abstract code generated by 'signals' and
   converted invisibly in a solipsistic never-never land.

Craig