On 28 September 2013 05:54, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 11:37 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Anyone who has a problem with Bruno's teleportation thought experiment
>> > should logically have the same problem with the MWI.
>

> No, you are entirely incorrect. The Many World's Interpretation is about
> what you can expect to see, and although it may seem strange to us Everett's
> ideas are 100% logically self consistent. Bruno's "proof" is about a feeling
> of identity, about who you can expect to be; but you do not think you're the
> same person you were yesterday because yesterday you made a prediction about
> today that turned out to be correct, you think you are the same person you
> were yesterday for one reason and one reason only, you remember being Liz
> yesterday. It's a good thing too because I make incorrect predictions all
> the time and when I do I don't feel that I've entered oblivion, instead I
> feel like I am the same person I was before because I can remember being the
> guy who made that prediction that turned out to be wrong.
>
> Bruno thinks you can trace personal identity from the present to the future,
> but that is like pushing on a string. You can only pull a string and you can
> only trace identity from the past to the present. A feeling of self has
> nothing to do with predictions, successful ones or otherwise, and in fact
> you might not even have a future, but you certainly have a past.

Teleportation thought experiments are also about what you can expect to see.

If you toss a coin and teleport to either Washington or Moscow that is
like a single world interpretationof QM.

If teleport to both Washington and Moscow that is like the MWI.

It is generally accepted that you can't tell which is the case from
experience. If you think they are different then you would have a
proof or disproof of the MWI. Is that what you claim?

--
Stathis Papaioannou