On 28 September 2013 14:27, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 12:02 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > Teleportation thought experiments are also about what you can expect to
>> > see.
>

> And I have no objection to thought experiments of that sort, but Bruno is
> not talking about assigning the probability you will see Moscow or
> Washington, he's talking about the probability you will become the
> Washington Man or the Moscow Man, and the two things are not the same. He
> claims that if personal diaries were kept and predictions about the future
> were made in them it would be concrete evidence on who is who and have a
> bearing on the nature of personal identity, but that is nonsense. If
> yesterday I wrote in my diary that there is a 100% chance I would make money
> in the stock market tomorrow but today I lost my shirt my failed prediction
> would not destroy my identity, I would not enter oblivion I'd just be broke.
> Personal identity can only be traced from the past to the present, the
> future is unknown.

We have evolved to believe at a gut level that we are a single entity
travelling forward through time, and when faced with a situation where
this is not the case, like duplication, our minds adjust by assigning
probabilities. The objective truth is that there is a version of me in
Washington, a version in Moscow, and the original version destroyed;
but that is not what we are asking when we want to know what to expect
when we step into the teleporter.

--
Stathis Papaioannou