On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> A cause is complex and at a high level only if the effect is complex and
>> at a high level. If Z is at the fundamental level (assuming there really is
>> such a level and causes and effects aren't infinitely nested) then it's
>> quite literally the simplest thing in the world to say that Y causes Z,
>> because after that there is nothing more to say.
>>

> > ? (too much fuzzy talk for me).

Which word didn't you understand?

>>even in pure mathematics your ideas break down. Chaitin's constant is
>> completely random,
>>

> > In some sense; yes. It is also entirely determined ("God can know it").

There is no God and if there were even He wouldn't know it.

> > I want only evaluate my chance to see M, or W, when in helsinki I am
> told that I will be duplicated.

That's 4 personal pronouns all with unclear referents in a sentence only 22
words long that is supposed to explain the nature of personal identity.

> I know that I will push on a button, open a door and see a city,

And by "see a city" Bruno Marchal means input information that will
complete a calculation determining if Bruno Marchal will say "I am in
Washington" or "I am in Moscow". Different input causes different output.

> and by comp I know I will see only one city

That's 2 personal pronouns with unclear referents in only 11 words.

> Personal identity is addressed in another paper I wrote, but the UDA does
> not rely to it (it is the contrary: the theory of personal identity relies
> on the UDA, and this is completely out of the present topic).

Then what the hell is the present topic, imbecilic and dull as dishwater
911 conspiracy theories?

>>  there are several different people who all remember being the guy in
>> Helsinki it turned out that the guy in Helsinki had several different
>> futures.
>>

> From some 3p view, that's correct. But

There is no "but" about it, that's correct from EVERY point of view.

> the question is about the most probable first person experience,

Personal identity has nothing to do with prediction, and there is a 100%
probability the the Washington man and the Moscow man remember being the
Helsinki man, and that is all you need to know to say that the Helsinki man
had more than one future.

  John K Clark