On 13 December 2013 06:00, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/12/2013 1:36 AM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 12 December 2013 17:00, Richard Ruquist <yann...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Liz,
>>
>>  In forking MWI worlds, your ID is constantly changing as it depends on
>> various quantum states.
>> Your detailed nature is never duplicated. Every fork is a change from
>> your previous state.
>> If comp supports MWI, why should your ID ever stay the same
>> since you are constantly forking with or without the doctor.
>> Rich
>>
>>  Yes, I wondered about that. However you look at it, digital
> consciousness involves constant state changes, at the substitution level
> and below. You end up with something like David Deutsch's snapshots or Fred
> Hoyle's pigeon holes, or someone, not sure who's "capsule" model of
> identity. It's all very Heraclitean!
>

> Of course in a (gasp!) materialist model, there are no "snapshots".  The
> computations that produce consciousness are distributed in space and time
> and one "thought" overlaps another.
>
> Sorry, but I don't quite see what you mean here. How does being
distributed in space and time avoid snapshots? You can still split
space-time into snapshots in the MWI (or "foliate" space-time in
relativity, I guess) in a manner that usefully explains extended processes
- they just extend across sequential snapshots / foliations. Digital
consciousness would presumably have a clock at some level, and steps, but
that might be far above the level of MWI snapshots, or it might be far
below it - space-time itself might be digital, which would automatically
allow higher level processes to be (in the sense required for comp).

Are you just saying that "observer moments" can't be identified with "MWI
snapshots" ?