On Sun, Dec 8, 2013  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

> You're avoiding my question. Why don't you also reject the MWI?

If I am reluctant to answer your question it is because I've already done
so many times in the past, but if you insist I will do so again. The Many
World's Interpretation is about what can be expected to be seen, and
although it may seem strange to us Everett's ideas are 100% logically self
consistent. Bruno's "proof" is not about what will be seen but about a
feeling of identity, about who you can expect to be; but you do not think
you're the same person you were yesterday because yesterday you made a
prediction about today that turned out to be correct, you think you're  the
same person you were yesterday for one reason and one reason only, you
remember being Telmo Menezes yesterday. It's a good thing that's the way it
works because I make incorrect predictions all the time and when I do I
don't feel that I've entered oblivion, instead I feel like I am the same
person I was before because I can still remember being the guy who made
that prediction that turned out to be wrong. I don't feel like I'm dead, I
just feel like the guy who made a crappy prediction.

Bruno thinks you can trace personal identity from the present to the
future, but that is like pushing on a string. You can only pull a string
and you can only trace identity from the past to the present. A feeling of
self has nothing to do with predictions, successful ones or otherwise, and
in fact you might not even have a future, but you certainly have a past.

If tomorrow somebody remembers being Telmo Menezes today then Telmo Menezes
has a future, if not then Telmo Menezes
has no future, and Quantum Mechanics or a understanding of Everett's Many
Worlds is not needed for any of it. Period. However in a completely
different unrelated matter, if you want to assign a probability that
tomorrow a observer that can be interviewed by a third party will observe a
electron move left or right then Quantum Mechanics will be needed. And some
(including me) feel that Everett's interpretation is a convenient way to
think about it, although there are other ways.

  John K Clark