On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 12/11/2013 12:23 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

>>> Fork() was called by the parent process; so it should return a value to
>>> the
>>> parent process, not the child process.
>>>
>> Fork() is an instruction that is part of some program. This program is
>> running in some process P1. When fork() is called, the operating
>> system creates a new process P2 and copies both the program and the
>> execution context of the program to P2. The execution context includes
>> the instruction pointer, that indicates the current instruction being
>> executed. After the copy, both P1 and P2 will point to the instruction
>> after fork(), with the only difference that fork() will have returned
>> different values to the parent and the child. It returns values on
>> both processes, and the operating system intervenes here to make them
>> different -- the OS acts as a duplication machine.
>>
>>         returns the process ID of the child process to the parent process.

>>> ?? What does "the program" refer to in "ask the program"?  If you ask A
>>> print out whether it's pid is equal to the pid recorded before the fork,
>>> can always correctly print "yes".  Similarly B can always print "no".  So
>>> what does it mean to "ask the program"? You seem to have implicitly
>>> created
>>> two programs and there is no unique referent for "the program".
>>>
>> Both the parent and the copy contain exactly the same algorithm. So
>> here, I can objectively refer to the program as a well defined
>> sequence of instructions, and an instance of the program as a process
>> running this set of instructions. I can have several instances of the
>> program running, in this case 2. From inside the program it is not
>> possible to see what the operating system is doing at a lower level,
>> but it is possible to measure some differences (be in Brussels, have
>> the same process id as before).
>>
>> So we can have a simple program that does the following:
>>
>> a = my process id           // personal diary
>> fork()                              // going through the duplicator
>> b = my process id
>> if a == b                         // answer the question "where am I?"
>>    location = "Brussels"
>> else
>>    location = "Moscow"
>> print ("I see " + location)
>>
>> If we run this program, we will end up with two programs giving two
>> different answers, although both will legitimately have  the same
>> personal history stored in variable a. We can extend the program by
>> having it try to predict the future:
>>

>> a = my process id           // personal diary
>> if (coin_flip == tails)
>>    prediction = "Brussels"
>> else
>>    prediction = "Moscow"
>> fork()                              // going through the duplicator
>> b = my process id
>> if a == b                         // answer the question "where am I?"
>>    location = "Brussels"
>> else
>>    location = "Moscow"
>> print ("I see " + location)
>> if (location == prediction)
>>    print "My prediction was correct"
>> else
>>    print "My prediction was false"
>>
>> If we repeat this a number of times, we will find that the program
>> instances are right about 50% of the time. There is no possible
>> algorithm that does better (or worse) than this before the fork,
>> provided it predicts either "Moscow" or "Brussels".
>>
>> Going through the duplicator, we are in the same situation as this
>> program.
>>

> I don't disagree with any of that.  But by providing a with an id prior to
> the fork and then testing after the fork you are effectively modeling a
> "soul" that is not duplicated but rather belongs to one of the copies and
> not the other; and the soul always goes to Moscow.

Don't let the fact that it is called a "pid" (Process ID mislead you).  I
think it is better to think of it as an observation from something external
to the running program, as you need to make a "system call", that is, ask
the OS what it is.  It does not come from within the program.  Then the
result of this "observation" is stored in a variable (local memory
available to that program), so the analogy is quite perfect with the
duplication machine.  You make an observation and store the memory, then
you clone yourself into two copies, and perform another system call to
learn your "pid" again, i.e., make a second observation.  This time each
copy gets back a different result.

Jason