Hi Chris dM and Bruno etc

>> Once, Chris Peck said that he was convinced by Clark's argument) and I
>> invited him to elaborate, as that might give possible lightening. He did not
>> comply, and I was beginning that UDA was problematical for people named
>> "Chris".

I think Clark should elaborate on his arguments rather than me, firstly because
he'll do it better than I ever could and secondly it will save me the
embarrassment if I have him wrong. I've elaborated at length on my own
criticisms of step 3 and stand by them.

I will say though that I find it astonishing if people work their way through
Bruno's steps and claim to understand them and then maintain that Clark's
erudite and ofttimes witty criticisms are in some way obtuse or difficult to
follow. That the person who actually devised the steps themselves remains
confused about Clark's comments almost beggars belief. There;s something very
odd about that.

There is some fuss about Clark's reluctance to apply his argument to MWI. Like
some others I think Clark possibly makes a misstep when (if?) he defends the
notion of 1p in-determinism within an MWI context. I can see though that in
Comp people are duplicated within worlds whereas in MWI they are duplicated
between worlds, and there possibly are some repercussions vis a vis the proper
use of pro-nouns because of that. Im not sure it matters much, because Clark
could be right about Comp and just inconsistent about MWI. So this complaint,
loudly pursued by Quentin, has always seemed impotent to me and not worth
bothering about.

Im reluctant to get involved in the step 3 discussions because, mentioning no
names Quentin and PGC, people can get very emotional and arm wavey about people
criticizing Bruno's metaphysics. So for now at least, I'll limit myself to
recommending the odd sci-fi movie on the film thread. The Quiet Earth (1985) is
a little known gem, btw.

All the best
Chris.