On 12 Feb 2014, at 21:47, LizR wrote:

On 13 February 2014 09:18, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
On 12 Feb 2014, at 18:58, meekerdb wrote:
That doesn't follow. If there are disjoint worlds, as contemplated in some versions of cosmology, they may have different physics.

Nice, comp predicts that this is impossible, although I can agree this is a matter of semantics, as I define a physical laws to be true for all universal machines, so disjoint worlds will have only different geographies.

So you're saying that only those worlds with observers in exist, according to comp?

Not completely, as you will still have all the computations approximating all possible geographical reality, including those without observers, and in that sense, those "realities" exist, but they might not be first person plural sharable, and if you could explore one, they can violate our physics below our substitution level (which witnesses the infinitely many computations, something that one computation can only approximate). Your question can depend if a quantum universal dovetailer win the "a measure battle", so that the computations going through you states are asspciated to some precise subdovetailing, for example.

So the physics they observe will necessarily be such that it allows them to exist? (In other words, the "Strong Anthropic Principle" ?)

Is that not tautological?

If so, how do you account for us being able to observe an early universe in which there were apparently no observers? Or do we as obsverers create it (somehow) ?

We select them. See above.

You seem to be making your claim a tautology by saying whatever your theory produces is physics, even if it's not any physics we know of. That makes it impossible to test.

Why, the physics we get is non trivial. It is as much testable than evolution. It explains where the laws of physics come from, and much more. It is extremely testable, given that it gives the laws, and it is enough to find one natural phenomenon contradicting Z1* or X1* to refute comp (+ Theaetetus). But this needs more on "AUDA", so let us not anticipate everything too much quickly. You jump from step 3 to step 8, and then to AUDA. Well, it is interesting, but like Liz said, we have to do the dinner and that kind of things of life, if we want to continue the discussion in decent condition.

I must admit I got that impression - thath the answer was something like "comp predicts whatever physics we've got!"

This is false. A priori comp predicts white noise and white rabbits. But thanks to Gödel, we know that self-reference put constraints on what we can observe ([]p & <>t), so comp(+Theaetetus) is not refuted yet, and is the only theory explaining where matter and consciousness comes from. Comp predicts one precise physics, in a way which indeed does not depend at all from what we observe in nature (we assume *only* comp!), and so we can compare the comp-physics with nature physics, and test comp.

However I see that isn't so, so I will be interested to know how it's testable - if I ever make it to understanding AUDA.

I hope to be able to explain enough so that you understand the main line on this.
Meanwhile, more explanation, notably in my answer to Brent.