From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bruno Marchal
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:26 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Interesting Google tech talk on QM

On 23 Apr 2014, at 13:08, LizR wrote:

On 23 April 2014 22:29, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

Hi Liz,

The "billions" make sense to me, to be honest. Even before the earth, we
still didn't exist. It sounds like poetic liberty for "a mind blowing amount
of time".

Sure, but I think at the time "millions of years" was a mind-blowing amount
of time - actually it still is - and it would appear the comment doesn't
have any known source. So although I'd be happily proved wrong on this, it
just feels a bit anachronistic for Samuel Clemens. Maybe just my personal
bias.

>> Samuel Clemens? Was is not Mark Twain? I missed a post perhaps.

Mark Twain was the pen name of the author Samuel Clemens - so one and the
same.

Do someone know the estimate of the age of the universe at the time of Mark
Twain? Einstein though it was infinite, and I thought that many physicists
(including believer in Big Bang(s)) don't exclude that.

Didn't most people still subscribe to that English or Scottish Bishops
calculation based on bible verse that concluded the earth and the universe
was some 6000 or so years ago in 4400 BC? There are far too many, in this
country at least - who still do believe in this fairy tale.

Chris

(And if we are digital machine, we have to take *all* true sigma_1
sentences, not just the e^iH, and their linear superpositions, and that is
*very* big).

cf