On 24 April 2014 04:25, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Samuel Clemens? Was is not Mark Twain? I missed a post perhaps.

Oops. They are the same person (Twain was Clemens' pseudonym). I thought it
was common knowledge, perhaps because I read the "Riverworld" series by
Philip Jose Farmer.

> Do someone know the estimate of the age of the universe at the time of
> Mark Twain? Einstein though it was infinite, and I thought that many
> physicists (including believer in Big Bang(s)) don't exclude that.
>
> I think it was considered perhaps infinite, in that no one knew how long
it had gone on and there was no obvious evidence of cosmological change -
telescopes weren't good enough to even resolve stars in galaxies outside
the Milky Way, I believe - but there was also no idea of processes lasting
billions of years. Hence Twain's "hundred million" was about the largest
size anyone could grasp, so it was in a sense akin to him saying infinity.

              • ... Bruno Marchal
              • ... meekerdb
              • ... LizR
              • ... Bruno Marchal