On 23 Apr 2014, at 18:49, 'Chris de Morsella <cdemorse...@yahoo.com>' via Everything List wrote:

From: everything-list@googlegroups.com [mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com ] On Behalf Of Bruno Marchal
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:26 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Interesting Google tech talk on QM

On 23 Apr 2014, at 13:08, LizR wrote:

On 23 April 2014 22:29, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:
Hi Liz,

The "billions" make sense to me, to be honest. Even before the earth, we still didn't exist. It sounds like poetic liberty for "a mind blowing amount of time".

Sure, but I think at the time "millions of years" was a mind-blowing amount of time - actually it still is - and it would appear the comment doesn't have any known source. So although I'd be happily proved wrong on this, it just feels a bit anachronistic for Samuel Clemens. Maybe just my personal bias.

>> Samuel Clemens? Was is not Mark Twain? I missed a post perhaps.

Mark Twain was the pen name of the author Samuel Clemens - so one and the same.

Damned!
The morning/evening stars strike again!

You solved a mystery. Thanks.

Do someone know the estimate of the age of the universe at the time of Mark Twain? Einstein though it was infinite, and I thought that many physicists (including believer in Big Bang(s)) don't exclude that.

Didn't most people still subscribe to that English or Scottish Bishops calculation based on bible verse that concluded the earth and the universe was some 6000 or so years ago in 4400 BC? There are far too many, in this country at least - who still do believe in this fairy tale.

What percentage? Are there catholic among them? I guess no but do a quick research. Ah:

In 1996, Pope John Paul II stated that, "New findings lead us toward the recognition of evolution as more than a hypothesis,"

Creationism concerns some evangelical christians. We should do studies to understand how that is possible. I think that again, like with cannabis, it is based on an exploitation of the A-in-B, and B-in-A confusion. Scientology and all sects does that, and well, some government on some matter.

Everyone does that confusion often, including myself, but that is why we have to be vigilant. There is nothing wrong in interpreting wrongly the evidences, if it can be revised later.

I ask myself: do those evangelical christians really believe in the fairy tale? Scientology has also "weird" beliefs. In Europa you can be considered as a Sect with such beliefs. I am OK with this, because if we allow parents to teach contradiction (not just superstition) we build future catastrophes.

Of course, strictly speaking, here John Paul II commit *the* error. Evolution is and remain an hypothesis. Like the sun and the moon, and earth. If not it becomes a "religion" (a pseudo-religion). He should have said instead simply that there are thousand of evidences for evolution on a long period, and simply none for creation in less than 6000 years.

There are as many scientific evidences for creation in less than 6000 years than for the 'big danger' of cannabis. Testimonies but 0 facts.

Bruno

Chris

(And if we are digital machine, we have to take *all* true sigma_1 sentences, not just the e^iH, and their linear superpositions, and that is *very* big).

cf