On 29 Sep 2014, at 02:22, Russell Standish wrote:

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 07:35:44PM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 27 Sep 2014, at 15:43, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Russell Standish
<li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 05:33:00AM +0200, Platonist Guitar Cowboy
wrote:
On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 3:39 AM, Russell Standish
<li...@hpcoders.com.au>
wrote:

So I don't see: robust universe => all integers exist

Nor do I. But then that is the exact inverse of what I stated: the
arithmetic reality assumption in COMP entails a robust reality (one in
which the UD runs to completion).

If I remember the thesis correctly, than robust is a placeholder
for some grandmother notion of physical reality, with enough
consistency in historical/spatial/causal relations to allow the UD
to run. Once reversal step is reached, the notion is dropped and
isn't further needed.

I agree. Non-robustness was introduced at step seven by the
physicalist trying to save physicalism + computationalism.

To say that the arithmetical reality is robust can mislead people in
thinking that now the arithmetical reality is our physical universe.

But if robust means "the ontology has sufficient resources to run the universal
dovetailer", then the arithmetic reality is robust.

In your thesis you talk about the "extravagant hypothesis", which has
to do with the UD running "concretely". Surely the point of that
discussion is once the reversal is obtained, whether the UD runs
"concretely" or "abstractly" has no bearing on the actual observed
physics, thus eviscerating the whole notion of concreteness. We can do
a Laplace - "je n'ai pas besoin de cet hypothese".

But this is quite different to the discussion of whether the ontology
is robust or not, which relates to driving a contradiction between
computational and physical supervenience.

Why would people be misled into thinking that AR is our physical
universe? Didn't you define physical as being what we observe, ie
phenomenology, and so by the reversal, this cannot be AR. For one thing,
phenomenal physics has random oracles which the AR doesn't have - that
is the point of your FPI finding, surely.

So we agree. AR is just the assumption that 2+2=4 and any arithmetical propositions are true or false, independently of me. It is the basic truth we need for talking and reason on computation, digital machines, and their stopping or non stopping. Physics assumes this too, usually, but some argue that this is what should be derived from physical laws (but this leads to some difficulties per se).

Just that given the context, it is always better, I think, to make clear if we talk about the physical universe, which should be an emergent notion, or the basic ontology, which as a realm, is sufficient for comp, as the richer apparent ontology of consciousness and matter emerges from the statistics on the sigma_1 sentences, structured by the type of points of view (p, []p, []p & p, etc.).

But the point is that the physical universe is redefined by a
modality of self-reference by entities emulated in the arithmetical
reality. Numbers does not become physical beings. It is more the
sigma_1 trues which become physical (observable) in the mind of the
(average) universal numbers/machines.

I answer the second post here: