On 3 February 2015 at 13:25, spudboy100 via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Agreed so far. I tend towards libertarian small scale solutions and never
> trusted 43, nor his competence, nor, the people he chiefly, represented.
> BHO is much much worse, in both incompetence and lies. The man's policies
> fail, one by one, and thus, will cause troubles not only to his home
> country, but far off kiwiland as well. Al Qaeda did shoot its bolt 14 years
> ago, but remember al qaeda means the base, named after the ancient
> relational database called DB3. The various groups, personnel, funding,
> areas of control, etc., were all on Bin Ladens littile database. So, in the
> meantime, all these orgs competed in a darwinian fashion for leadership and
> have evolved onward into ansar, the other into isis. The fear is that
> another catastrophe will be created by BHO's negligence, and thus we all
> will fall into a big war cycle. This event, should it happen will change
> the politics, but not after lots of carnage. Hating one's home country, as
> many seem to, will not persuade the perception of the islamists, but likely
> encourage their agression. That is my view.
>
> Also agreed so far. I don't know how 43 and 44 compare (convenient
shorthand) in terms of incompetence and lies, but they seem to have mainly
proved that...

...and I agree that there is a threat from ISIS etc - what I don't want is
to give up our existing feedoms to combat them. To put it bluntly Id'
rather live in a land of (relative) freedoms and take the risk that I will
be blown up by a terrorist than live in a repressive police state in which
every "person of interest" is under surveillance. The price of freedom is
constant vigilance, but there is also a tradeoff between freedom and
security.