On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 9:26 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> w

> Suppose you substituted for Watson's database one learned entirely from
> the Conservapedia.  Then Watson would be quite incompetent,

Yes, and it would behave quite stupidly too unless it recognized the self
contradictions in it's database.

> > but I see no reason to think Watson would be less conscious.

If its database had self contradictions then it could still think about the
entries in that database, but if there were no logically coherent links
between the entries there would be little depth to that thought. I believe
there is a link between depth of thought (also called intelligence) and
consciousness but as I've said I'll never be able to prove it.

> Bruno identifies intelligence with learning.

And if Watson couldn't learn he would have never won on Jeopardy.

  John K Clark