On 16 Mar 2015, at 03:57, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> You assume that intelligence only comes from brains.

Only a fool would not assume that and I am not a fool.

> It is true that drugs that make brains less intelligent make them less conscious. But it might not be true of, for example Watson, because Watson's intelligence depends on accessing an huge database (the web).

Although much of his knowledge originally came from the internet the Jeopardy champagne Watson did not have internet access,all it had to relay on was it's internal memory.

> If you cut off its access it would be much less intelligent, it would be like a scholar whose library was taken away.

The correct analogue would be a scholar who's memory had been totally erased, in which case he would no longer be a scholar; and without language his incoherent grunts would no longer be judged as being very intelligent behavior by most.

> The scholar is not less conscious

I can't prove it of course, I can't prove anything about consciousness, but nevertheless I believe that someone with no memory would be less conscious, far less conscious, because there would be far fewer things for him to be conscious of.

So an ignorant would suffer less than someone knowing a lot?

Some use argument like that for defending animal's torture.

Some drugs can also make you forget everything, and still give you a feeling of greater consciousness, like if memories somehow hide the consciousness of consciousness.

Not sure at all if memories are needed for consciousness. I am open to the contrary, at least up to some level.

Bruno

 John K Clark