On Jul 6, 2015 3:02 PM, "meekerdb" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> [...]
Washington Monument what the Kremlin looks like he wouldn't be able to say
because he's conscious of the monument but not the Kremlin.

>>> ​ > ​
>>> If there's only one consciousness which is aware of both Washington and
Moscow then asking the body looking at the Washington Monument what the
Kremlin looks like would elicit an accurate answer.  There's no
contradiction in information being transferred from Moscow to Washington
any more than transferring it from a toe to a brain.

>> ​ Nobody thinks new physics would be needed to explain how a message
moves from your toe to your brain, but new physics would be required to
explain how the Washington Man could accurately say what's going on in
Moscow without using electronics.  ​

>> ​ So I don't think the Washington Man could do that.
>

> I didn't say they could, I said there was no *logical* contradiction in
them doing so.  In fact it's not even a nomological contradiction because
humans could have evolved or manufactured RF communication devices in their
brains such that, when duplicated, the two copies continued to shared
information. But my point was that in Bruno's UD multiverse there will be
universes in which this is the case.  So to show that duplication
necessarily entails two consciouses, he needs to show that our physics and
our evolution are necessary, not contingent.

> Brent

But whatever the case for how two brains would give rise to a single
consciousness, there must be a mechanism for it. In order to say yes to the
doctor, I would want to know that I won't end up experiencing two bodies at
once. What could explain how that would or wouldn't happen? What is
preventing that now, between us?

Terren