On 06 Jul 2015, at 04:07, meekerdb wrote:

On 7/5/2015 6:55 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

So Brent, when Bruno talks about "*HE*" or "*THE* first person perspective" what the hell is Bruno talking about?

He is the guy in Helsinki. And "the" designates the unique experience, in one city, which is accessible for "he", the guy which is presently in Helsinki whose first person perspective will find himself in W, or in M, but never in both.

Maybe we should think about the alternative a little. Suppose a duplicated person is like the Borg. After the duplication there are not two consciousnesses, one aware of Washington and one aware of Moscow, but only one consciousness which is aware of both Washington and Moscow.

By definition of comp, the guy in W (resp in M) will act in W exactly like he would act if his doppelganger was not reconstituted. If that was not the case, it would mean that the doctor did not get the level right, or that computationalism is false.

There is no logical contradiction in this, so why do we feel so confident it is not the case? Isn't it because we assume that consciousness supervenes on the physics?

It is because we accept that "my consciousness" is entirely recovered by the computation made by the copy.

But sinces it's not a logical requirment, there are universes emulated by the UD with physics which realize Borg-like consciousness. In fact we might be able to realize it with suitable transponders emplanted in brains.

In that (quite speculative) case, the FPI has to take those extensions into account. No problem.