On 8/30/2015 3:34 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 30 Aug 2015, at 03:08, Russell Standish wrote:

Well as people probably know, I don't believe C. elegans can be
conscious in any sense of the word. Hell - I have strong doubts about
ants, and they're massively more complex creatures.

I think personally that C. Elegans, and Planaria (!), even amoeba, are conscious, although very plausibly not self-conscious.

I tend to think since 2008 that even RA is already conscious, even maximally so, and that PA is already as much self-conscious than a human (when in some dissociative state).

But I don't know if PA is more or less conscious than RA. That depends of the role of the higher part of the brain consists in filtering consciousness or enacting it.

But it probably won't be long before we simulate a mouse brain in toto
- about 2 decades is my guess, maybe even less given enough dollars -
then we're definitely in grey philosophical territory :).

I am slightly less optimistic than you. It will take one of two decades before we simulate the hippocampus of a rat, but probably more time will be needed for the rest of their brain. And the result can be a conscious creature, with a quite different consciousness that a rat, as I find plausible that pain are related to the glial cells and their metabolism, which are not taken into account by the current "copies".

So now you agree with me that there are different kinds and degrees of consciousness; that it is not just a binary attribute of an axiom + inference system.