On 31 Aug 2015, at 19:40, meekerdb wrote:

On 8/31/2015 1:56 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 30 Aug 2015, at 20:25, meekerdb wrote:

On 8/30/2015 3:34 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 30 Aug 2015, at 03:08, Russell Standish wrote:

Well as people probably know, I don't believe C. elegans can be
conscious in any sense of the word. Hell - I have strong doubts about
ants, and they're massively more complex creatures.

I think personally that C. Elegans, and Planaria (!), even amoeba, are conscious, although very plausibly not self-conscious.

I tend to think since 2008 that even RA is already conscious, even maximally so, and that PA is already as much self-conscious than a human (when in some dissociative state).

But I don't know if PA is more or less conscious than RA. That depends of the role of the higher part of the brain consists in filtering consciousness or enacting it.

But it probably won't be long before we simulate a mouse brain in toto - about 2 decades is my guess, maybe even less given enough dollars -
then we're definitely in grey philosophical territory :).

I am slightly less optimistic than you. It will take one of two decades before we simulate the hippocampus of a rat, but probably more time will be needed for the rest of their brain. And the result can be a conscious creature, with a quite different consciousness that a rat, as I find plausible that pain are related to the glial cells and their metabolism, which are not taken into account by the current "copies".

So now you agree with me that there are different kinds and degrees of consciousness; that it is not just a binary attribute of an axiom + inference system.

?

Either you are conscious, or you are not.

But is a roundworm either conscious or not?  an amoeba?

I don't know, but i think they are. Even bacteria, and perhaps even some viruses, but on a different time scale than us.

If they can be conscious, but not self-conscious then there are two kinds of "being conscious".

Yes, at least two kinds, but each arithmetical hypostases having either "<>t" or "& p" describes a type of consciousness, I would say. And they all differentiate on the infinitely many version of "[]A", be it the "[]" predicate of PA, ZF, an amoeba or you and me ...

And being self-conscious can have different modes. A Mars Rover is conscious of itself having a certain location, battery charge, temperature,...but it's not conscious of its purpose or the effect it's success has on engineers at JPL.

OK. I mean plausible, but I am not sure that Mars Rover is self- conscious. He might have correct belief about its own location, but he might not (yet) have a "enough" rich notion of itself.

Then there are many type of consciousness states, and some can have some notion of degrees assigned to them. In the case I was talking, I might be obliged to accept the idea that RA is maximally conscious, and PA might be less conscious or more delusional about its consciousness. (but that is counter-intuitive, and depends on the validity of the "Galois connection" account of consciousness. I have no certainty here (even in the comp frame).

For another example, I have strong evidences that we are conscious at *all* moment of the nocturnal sleep. It is a question of training to be able to memorize the episodes enough well to realize this, but apparently we are programmed to forget those experiences.

Sure, if your wife whispers your name at night while you're asleep you wake up instantly.

It depends of the man, and perhaps of the wife. I took holiday with a guy who was incredibly hard to wake up in the morning. Even shouting his name quite aloud did not woke up. We had too shake him for some time. Note that he warned us before. He never use an alarm clock, as he does not work for him. To wake in time, he has to just sleep his right number of hours.

But you don't if you're anesthetized.

Which proves nothing, as I am sure you agree.

Obviously "to be unconscious" cannot be a first person experience.

But it can be a first body experience.

Perhaps in some metaphorical sense.

But a body has no experience at all, and actually don't even exist. They are only sharable pattern of information computed in "special sheaf of computations", whose initial segments are dovetailed in the arithmetical reality.

To believe that *we have been unconscious* is consistent, but plausibly false, and probably false with computationalism, where, to put it with Otto Rossler's phrasing: consciousness is a prison.

I'd say it's more than plausibly true. If there are time intervals during which we are inert and unresponsive and which we have no memory of, that's pretty good evidence we were unconscious - in fact it's the operational defintion.

Once I made a nap. I was very tired and fall asleep, rather deeply, as like the guy above people around me would have described me as inert and unresponsive. After waking up, I did not have any memories. With your criterion, I was unconscious. But then, five hours later, seeing something on the net recall me a piece of dream, very plausibly done during that nap. Most people have no memory of their night experience, except a vague feeling that the night took some time. Yet, with some training, we can develop "attention" on basically all sleep state occurring in sleep. The non REM sleep is full of experiences which are very difficult to memorize. But since a long time now, I don't ever remember waking up, and not being able to memorize the last conscious episode, and I do observe how much they tend to be quickly forgotten. having no memory of an experience does not mean we were not conscious during that experience.