On 9/16/2015 10:27 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>wrote:

    ​ > ​
    Without  a built-in biological life span, people may become
    extremely timid and risk averse.

​ If you knew you were immortal why on earth would you ​be risk averse?

Not having a built in biological life span is very different from being immortal. Immortal means you can't die. Not having a built-in life span means you will eventually die from some accident or illness. In that case the more careful you are the longer you live.

​ And if the death of death causes social problems then we'll just have to deal with those problems, I mean it wouldn't be the first time we experienced social problems. ​

    ​ > ​
    "The older you get, the less you have to lose."

​ And yet in practice people behave as if it's just the opposite. Young healthy people feel immortal and so they take lots of risks, but old people are full of aches and pains that constantly remind them that they are not immortal and so they become very timid and risk adverse.

Maybe. I recently took second place in the 2-stroke Production motorcycle road racing championship at Willow Springs CA - and I'm 76.