On Wed, Sep 16, 2015  Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> ​
>> ​>>​
>> If you knew you were immortal why on earth would you ​be risk averse?

​> ​
> Not having a built in biological life span is very different from being
> immortal.  Immortal means you can't die.

Immortality isn't a deep concept, it just means making sure the atoms in
your biological brain, or its functional equivalent, always remained in
their correct orientation.
Immortality is simply a ​matter of
​maintaining ​
organization,
​ and with nanotechnology that would be easy.​

> ​> ​
> you will eventually die from some
> ​accident.  ​

​That's why ​
you'd need lots of backup copies stashed in lots of different places, and
with ​
nanotechnology that would be easy.​

> ​> ​
> or illness.

​You will never die of illness if you have the ability to ensure that the
atoms in your body always remain in their correct orientation, ​
and with ​
nanotechnology that would be easy.​

​> ​
> Uploading" isn't some well defined process

​Uploading is very well defined, it's just not achievable yet for
technological not scientific or philosophical reasons:  ​Uploading

​is the functional equivalent of a biological brain in electronic form. ​

​> ​
> You could be "uploaded" today by having a team of people research your
> appearance, personality, thinking, preferences, speech, etc. and
> incorporating them into a computer program with sensory inputs and some
> Watson like AI.  It would produce a Max Headroom like John Clark who would
> continue to berate Bruno for his use of pronouns and other signs of
> intelligence.

​Intelligent behavior is a much deeper property than consciousness, so if
it's got John Clark's intelligence (or better) that's good enough for me.  ​

> ​> ​
> Would it be conscious?...who knows.

​That is nothing new, that is the same sort of uncertainty every human
being who has ever lived must face. Was the original John Clark conscious?
Only the original John Clark knows for sure.

​> ​
> Would it be recognizably John Clark...sure.

​That is good enough for me.

  John ​K Clark