Is it possible that there is a memory capture 'mechanism' naturally, using the
Planck space level of the universe? The fun part would be that the bit streams
(or stings)  would be magically restored back to life.Hence, immortality.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sun, Sep 20, 2015 6:59 pm
Subject: Re: Could we live forever?

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015  Bruno Marchal     <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

       ​         ​>> ​         You need to know how generic atoms should be
placed in relation to other ​generic atoms.

       ​> ​       That is a low level,

​      Yes a very low level, probably much lower than necessary; the molecular
level would be more than enough, maybe even the cellular level with a little
chemistry at the synapses would probably get the job done.

        ​> ​        but in principle we cannot be sure,

     ​      Being sure is not necessary, you only need to be correct. ​

         ​> ​        may be we need the string level.

​      If the string level is needed (assuming that strings actually exist)
then you become a different person 10^43 times a second. Do you think you do?
Sorry, that was a dumb question, unless a question can be asked in the Planck
Time (10^-43 seconds) "you" can not be asked anything. ​

         ​> ​        if you chose the atomic level, that is very plausibly a
good low (and thus expensive) level.

           ​Expensive? The very first tiny Nanotechnological Assembler ​will be
astronomically expensive, but it will be able to make a second Assebbler in
about half an             ​hour at virtually no cost, and a half hour after
that there would be 4       and a half hour after that there would be       ​
8.        And so it goes.

​>              ​>>​               ​              ​               Assuming
computationalism

            ​>> ​      ​     And only a fool would not make that assumption.

       ​> ​       Why?

     ​      Because in the history of the world every experiment (in fact every
observation) is consistent with computationalism and inconsistent with its
negation.   ​

               ​>> ​        ​If long term memory, ​or short term memory, or
anything else is not working well then generic atoms have not been placed in
the correct orientation relative to other generic atoms. And the exact same
thing happens when your computer is not working well, or your can opener for
that matter.

       ​> ​       You can wish that, but you cannot pretend to know that.

     ​      Every change in the physical brain leads to a change in
consciousness, and every change of consciousness corresponds to a physical
change in the brain. So what more do you need to be convinced?  ​

         ​> ​        Maybe the brain needs dark matter.

      ​Maybe computers also need dark matter, maybe they both need Tinker Bell
too.​

        ​> ​        you can do such assumption and say "yes" to the doctor, but
you can't impose this to another,

      ​Hey I'm a libertarian, I wouldn't dream of imposing my beliefs on
anyone.You say what you want and I'll say what I want.  ​

      ​> ​     and treating him as fool does not ring right to me.

      ​If somebody behaves like a fool it would illogical of me to treat that
person as if he were not a fool.​

       John K Clark