On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 1:17 AM, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> On 14/10/2015 4:45 pm, Jason Resch wrote:
>
> Cochlear implants and artificial retinas give evidence toward multiple
> realizability, and therefore, against mind-brain identity theory. They show
> that it is functional equivalence, rather than material/compositional
> equivalence that matters. Since computers can realize any finite function,
> then assuming there are no necessary infinities within the brain, computers
> can realize any functional state the brain is able to realize. For
> physicalism to be correct, you have to believe either that functional
> states are irrelevant to consciousness, or that physics can instantiate
> functional states which Turing machines cannot.
>

> That is simply false.

Well that explains it.

> Again it's not clear what you mean by computationalism.   Bruce can speak
>> for himself, but I think he agrees that strong AI is possible.
>>

> Strong AI implies consciousness is substrate independent. But I thought
> Bruce argued against consciousness being derivable from mathematical
> computations, which would mean consciousness is substrate dependent: that
> it depends on physically implemented Turing machines.
>

> I certainly argued that consciousness could not be sustained on platonic
> computations in arithmetic. But that was because I do not accept that such
> things exist.

What evidence have you seen that led you to this conclusion?

> In mathematics you have descriptions of Turing machines and descriptions
> of computations, but no live machines or computations.

There are both.

> Substrate independence simply means that you can replace all or part of
> the human brain with computer-based equivalents. In other words, strong AI.
> No need for platonia in order to say that consciousness is independent of
> the substrate.

But if it is independent of substrate, and if computations exist
platonically, then those platonic computations are equally capable of
instantiating consciousness.

>> Why?  Arithmetic is system of propositions.  Whether it is real or not
>> has no effect on Church-Turing.
>>

> Then you should be equally happy to have your brain implemented by "unreal
> computations" as "real computations" :-)
>

> Computations in platonia are 'unreal' -- they do not exist, so cannot
> implement anything.

[image: Inline image 1]

> and it's difficult to make sense of computationalism if you can no longer
> define computation or computability. So if you accept computationalism, you
> are implicitly accepting infinity and arithmetical realism. Given this, the
> rest of Bruno's result is a logical proof, which is either correct or has
> an error.
>

> No, you missed the point that it is not a logical proof.  It's an argument
> from incredulity.
>
> "A Turing Machine either reaches a halting state or runs forever"
> "A Turing Machine can emulate any other Turing machine"
> "A Turing Machine has an unlimited tape"
>
> None of the above items are true for physical approximations of Turing
> machines. If these basic principals of computer science are not true for
> physical Turing machines, then what kind of Turing machines are they true
> for? Is Computer Science founded on lies, or does it concern itself with a
> recently-discovered mathematical object for which these statements are true?
>

> The definition is of an ideal Turing machine. No such ideal machine
> exists. Mathematical objects are idealizations: they do not exist. Any
> realization of a mathematical objects is necessarily less than ideal.

If you born in a universe with slightly different laws, you would say this
universe is only abstract and doesn't exist. I think you are just biased by
what is familiar to you.

Jason