On 15/07/2016 9:42 am, Jason Resch wrote:
I printed the following "Duplicate Questionnaire" and gave one to both John-Washington, and John-Moscow. The questionnaires each had 8 questions:

1. What city did you last recall being in?
2. How many cities do you see now?
3. What is the name of the city you see before you?
4. True/False: You see two cities right now:
5. True/False: The prediction that you see Washington was:
6. True/False: The prediction that you see Moscow was:
7. True/False: The prediction that you see Washington and Moscow was:
8. True/False: The prediction that you see Washington or Moscow was:

When I gave the questionnaire to John-Washington, he filled out the following answers (in bold):

1. What city did you last recall being in? *Helsinki*
2. How many cities do you see now? *One*
3. What is the name of the city you see before you? *Washington*
4. True/False: You see two cities right now: *False*
5. True/False: The prediction that you see Washington was: *True*
6. True/False: The prediction that you see Moscow was: *False*
7. True/False: The prediction that you see Washington and Moscow was: *False* 8. True/False: The prediction that you see Washington or Moscow was: *True*

When I gave the questionnaire to John-Moscow, he filled out the following answers (in bold):

1. What city did you last recall being in? *Helsinki*
2. How many cities do you see now? *One*
3. What is the name of the city you see before you? *Moscow*
4. True/False: You see two cities right now: *False*
5. True/False: The prediction that you see Washington was: *False*
6. True/False: The prediction that you see Moscow was: *True*
7. True/False: The prediction that you see Washington and Moscow was: *False* 8. True/False: The prediction that you see Washington or Moscow was: *True*

Both Johns expressed deep regret over insulting people on the Everything list, most especially Bruno. It turned out neither John-Washington's, nor John-Moscow's prediction that they would see both cities was true from their own first person points of view.

But you have introduced a distinction between John-W and John-M that is not present in the original protocol. Remember that the criterion of personal identity you are working with is based on person memories (verified by a personal diary if necessary). Both copies of John have these memories and these diaries, so they both have equal claims to be John. "John", as this duplicated person, predicts with certainty that he will see W, and that he will see M, so he predicts that he will see both cities.

The fact that this appears odd is that our conventional intuition is essentially dualist -- we think that there is a central core that is the "real me" that gives me my continuing sense of personal identity. This intuition breaks down when you have duplication of persons.

Bruce