On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 08:51:32AM -0500, Jason Resch wrote:
> > >
> > I have only come across two theories of personal identity that are
> > consistent and void issues inherent to body-continuity and
> > psychological-continuity theories. The two consistent personal identity
> > theories I am aware of are no-self (you are only a single thought moment
> > and nothing else) and universalism (you are all thought moments and all
> > people). Anything in between is bound to fall flat when you try to limit
> > the scope of experiences you my ascribe that person to some biological or
> > some psychological continuation when both of these continuations can
> > changes over time. What are the practical limits to allowable change
> which
> > preserve that person? It seems entirely arbitrary to me.
> >

> I am not convinced that they are the only two possible
> outcomes. Remember my skepticism of the Parfit Napoleon thought
> experiment.

There may be other theories of personal identity that are consistent. I
only mention that there are two I am aware of that are. What was your
skepticism regarding Parfit's thought experiment?

> However, ISTM that the real issue being discussed here is transitivity
> of the notion of personal identity. Why should identity be transitive?
> After all, why shouldn't your identity be tied up with whoever you
> remember being?

I think theories of personal identity should aim to be objective. That is,
be capable of definitively and objectively answering the question of what
experiences belong to which persons.

A theory of personal identity based on memory cannot be used to make
predictions on what future experience will belong to which persons, and it
seems to have difficulty with cases of memory loss or amnesia. E.g. who was
it that experienced the 5th bite of your dinner from 58 nights ago, if not
you?

> If B and C both remember being A, then they can claim
> to being the same person as A, in spite of the fact that B and C are
> different people.
>
> What is the problem with that point of view?

Identity relations, by definition, are transitive. If A is identical to B,
and A is identical to C, then B is identical to C.

Jason

"This is also the resolution of the tension between the rival criteria for
personal identity,
psychological and bodily continuity. As with brain bisection, there is here
an embarrassment of
riches. Either side of the classic debate has the upper hand when it argues
positively that the person
could remain the same if its own pet criterion was maintained even if the
other was wholly absent.
And, indeed, one could easily imagine a person going along into another
body with a transfer to that
body’s brain of his pattern of memories. And yet one can also easily
imagine the person’s
continuing in the same body with an experience of amnesia or false
memories. It seems that all
such content of experience, in different bodies or with differing mental
states, could be mine. In
fact, all the mental content in different bodies and differing mental
states actually is mine. For all of
it has everything that it takes to be mine–the first person character that
is common to all
experience." --- Arnold Zuboff