On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​>> ​
>> The
>> ​ ​
>> primary cause
>> ​ may be attached to the word  "God", but we both know that is not the
>> only attachment, ​so is "a being who can think".
>>

> ​> ​
> That is exactly what the greeks put in question.

​I don't give a damn about the idiot ancient Greeks! You believe something
called "God" exists so I'm asking you​

​one simple question that has a simple yes or no answer, do you think I'm
smarter than God? If the answer is yes then I don't see why anybody should
care if God exists or not. If the answer is no then we can stop playing
silly word games. ​

> ​> ​
> the question of knowing if the set of true arithmetical sentence thinks is
> also not an obvious one.

​Well I can think, if the set of ​
true arithmetical sentence
​s​
​can​
​ not then I can bring something to the table it can not, and that can only
be matter that obeys the laws of physics.
Also, ​it's not valid to talk about a set if you have no way of
constructing that set, and you have no way of constructing a set that
contains all true mathematical statements and no false ones; much less do
so without the help of matter that obeys the laws of physics.

> ​>> ​
>> To hell with the ancient Greeks!​
>

> ​> ​
> Which greeks.

​Just the ones that are ancient. ​

​>>​

>> *To hell with the ancient Greeks!​ *
>

> ​> ​
> I understand. You want keep Aristotle so much

​I said it before I'll say it again, Aristotle was the worse physicists who
ever lived. Full stop. ​

> ​> ​
> that you prefer not to learn anything about Plato.

​Bruno, I hate to break it to you but​

​Plato didn't even know where the sun to went at night. This is the 21st
century and we're on a list that is supposed to discussing cutting edge
​developments in science and mathematics, so why are we still talking about
a bozo like Plato?

​> ​
> I think you confuse fundamentalist christian and educated christian,

​Do you think they are any less silly? I can find little evidence of that. ​

​> ​
> The notion of computation does not refer to any laws in physics.

​I know, and that's why the
notion of computation
​ can not by itself perform any computations. In fact even a notion can not
be a notion without something to have the notion, something like a brain.
And brains need matter that obeys the laws of physics.​

​> ​
> It is done in all textbooks on computability theory,

​Show me one textbook on ​
computability theory
​ that can compute 2+2 and I'll concede the argument.​

​But ​
​I have found that all books are pretty dumb unless there is something with
a brain to read them. And I have yet to run across a brain that is not made
of matter that obeys the laws of physics.​

​> ​
> You will not find one mathematician who disagree with this,

​If all mathematicians believe books can compute then all mathematicians
are insane.

> ​> ​
> and most physicists agree too, to my knowledge.

​If most physicists believe books can compute then most physicists are
insane.​

​>>​
>>  I'd be much more interested in a theory of intelligence. ​
>

> ​> ​
> But as you said consciousness is easy, so let us first solve the easy
> problem.

​OK, consciousness is the way data feels when it's being processed. Problem
solved. Now it's your turn, tell me how to make an AI in your next post.​

​That's going to be a very long post!​

​John K Clark​