On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​>> ​
>> ​I said it before I'll say it again, Aristotle was the worse physicists
>> who ever lived. Full stop. ​
>

> ​> ​
> It was wrong,

​Aristotle's physics was more than just wrong, it was stupid, and could
have easily been shown to be stupid ​
even in his own day. But unfortunately it was not.​

> ​> ​
> but in science,

​Science? Aristotle did no science, he like all the idiot ancient Greeks
believed all ​
he
had to do is sit and think, and even in that he wasn't any good, ​his logic
sucked.

> ​> ​
> it is an honor to be shown wrong when it leads to progressing in some
> domain.

​But it didn't lead to
progress
! Aristotle's dumb ideas were held as unchallenged truth for 2000 years,
physics would be more advanced today if he had never been born​.

> ​> ​
> The point is that you seem to buy its theology,

​Bruno, you really need to show some creativity and think of a new insult,
you've been using the one about me being secretly religious for over a
decade and it's starting to sound just a tad old.

> ​> ​
> The computations are done relative to the universal number doing the
> universal computations, and this does not need anything physical.

​And yet INTEL needs physical stuff like Silicon.
​Don't you find that odd?​

> ​> ​
> You make Searle's error of believing that you are your body, but that
> makes no sense with Mechanism.

​Searle is almost as big an imbecile as the ancient Greeks were, and I do
*not* believe I am my body, I am the way atoms behave when they are
organized in a johnkclarkian way. ​

​>>​
>> And brains need matter that obeys the laws of physics.​
>

> ​> ​
> Only material brain

​Have you ever seen another type of brain?

​I haven't. ​

​> ​
> The idea that it is the book which computes is just insane

​I agree, and yet bizarrely whenever I say matter is always needed to make
a ​calculation you keep pointing out this textbook or that textbook in an
effort to prove me wrong. I don't get it. If you really want to prove me
wrong start your own computer company and put INTEL out of business with
your zero manufacturing costs.

​John K Clark​