On 04 Jan 2017, at 18:59, John Clark wrote:

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​ ​>> ​I say matter is always needed to make a ​calculation you keep pointing out this textbook or that textbook in an effort to prove me wrong.

​> ​because those textbook explain what is a computation, without assuming anything physical,

​It is insufficient to explain what a computation is, what is needed is an explanation of how to perform a calculation. In textbooks on arithmetic it will say something like "take this number and place it in that set" but how do I "take" a number and how do I "place" it in a set without matter that obeys the laws of physics?

By using the representation of finite sequence of number by a number, for example by using Gödel's numbering based on the unique decomposition of number into prime factors. Then taking a number from that list is realized by their divisibility properties. I can give more detailed, but you can consult a textbook. The fact is that a universal digital machine cannot distinguish from its first person perspective if she is run by a computation from a block-physical- universe or from a bloc-computational-structure like elementary arithmetic.

In fact who is that textbook talking to if it's not a collection of atoms that obeys the laws of physics.

That is a confusion of level. When I say that the computation are realized in elementary arithmetic, I point to a fact which does not depend on the existence of matter or any physicalness. Now, relatively to us, we will express such fact through books, but as far as we know such books can be first person appearance, and those can be proved to exist, in the internal (to arithmetic) relative way in elementary arithmetic, and that is all what count for my point.

And I still don't see how you can be blithely talking about the set that contains all true mathematical statements and no false ones when you must know there is no way to construct such a set even in theory.

That set cannot be defined in arithmetic, but admit a simple definition in set theory or in analysis. The whole chapter of mathematical logic known as recursion theory studies and classifies the degree of unsolvability of such set. The partially computable one are the so-called Sigma_1 set, and the non computable are the Pi_1, Sigma_2, Pi_2, ... Sigma_i, Pi_i, ... Again this is explained in all good books. All you need to be able to define non-computable sets of numbers is the excluded middle principles, and we do this all the time in many branches of math. We can tlak about the set of total computable functions, despite their set of descriptions is also not computable.

​> ​"The hell with the antic greeks" was also the motto of the catholic teachers I met. The tabula rasa on theology is where gnostic atheists and institutionalized religious fundamentalist match perfectly.

​Oh dear, we're back to that again. Now where did I put my rubber stamp, I know it's around here somewhere.... oh there it is:​

Wow, calling a guy known for disliking religion religious, never heard that one before, at least I never heard it before I was 12.

It is just a fact.

By mocking the possibility of doing theology in the scientific way, the gnostic-atheists (believers in a Primary Physical Reality and believer in the zero personal gods theory) maintain the field in the hands of the clericals and institutionalized religions, making it impossible to transform the Period of Enlightenment. This shows that among the atheists, the non agnostics one (the gnostics) side with the institutionalized charlatan again the coming back of the field in Science, where it was born. They are de facto allies of the Churches.

You might read the book by Daniel E. Cohen "Equation from Gods Pure Mathematics and Victorian Faith(*)" to see that even the "modern" mathematical Logic is born from theological questions and the will of making theology coming back to science, by Unitarian mathematicians who were tired of the imposed Trinitarian view. The main people here where Benjamin Peirce (the father of Charles S. Peirce), Augustus de Morgan, George Boole, and even Lewis Carroll (Charles L. Dodgson). Then, later, the mathematicians put some pressure to hide this theological motivation in the process of making mathematics itself into a profession in the 19th century. Note also the irony, given that the canonical theology of the Universal Machine, due to incompleteness is more Trinitarian-like (3 main hypostases) than Unitarian, but the early logicians could not foreseen the incompleteness of the universal machine and the Löbian machine. It is incompleteness which introduces the modal nuances of provability which separates the hypostases (cf p, []p, []p & p, []p & <>t, etc.).

Bruno

(*) The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2007.

​John K Clark​