On 5/3/2017 1:29 PM, David Nyman wrote:

On 3 May 2017 9:16 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 5/3/2017 12:31 PM, David Nyman wrote:

    On 3 May 2017 8:11 p.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

        On 5/3/2017 6:21 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

            Brent argues that AI will dissolve the hard question. I
            think that
            people know intuitively that it will not. This is what
            pop-culture
            works such as "Blade Runner" are about.

        People knew intuitively that the Earth was flat, God was
        needed to explain morality, and chemistry couldn't explain
        life.  Ask yourself this: You're designing a new Mars Rovers
        to explore Mars for years and you want them to be able to
        learn and act intelligently and to interact with one
        another.  Do you deliberately make it conscious?...if so,
        how?  Might you make it conscious inadvertently?...and what
        difference would it make?  Having formulated these questions,
        do you think modal logic will answer them?

    IMO the problem is already in the formulation. The way you've set
    it up obviously leads to a conflation of consciousness and
    intelligent behaviour.

    No, I'm not conflating them.  That's the point of the questions -
    are they separable and what do you do about it.  I think Bruno
    already thinks they are not separable.  Although it's known a "the
    hard problem", realizing consciousness should, according to
    Bruno's theory, be easy.  It's why he thinks jumping spiders are
    conscious.  I think so too, but I don't think consciousness is a
    simple binary property, like lobian or not.

    But in my view the thing is incoherent unless expressed in a way
    that is able to handle the first person view directly in
    something like its own terms. And yes, modal logic may be able to
    give us at least an inkling of how this might go, at least in its
    most basic form. But you don't like where this idea leads it
    would seem, although perhaps you will just say the case hasn't
    been made. Maybe I'm wrong, but even so I can't help feeling that
    you're just out of sympathy with the whole idea.

    I don't think sympathy for a theory is a scientific attitude.

Perhaps not, but a certain sympathetic connection with a particular way of thinking may still lead to a breakthrough in a quite unexpected direction. Or indeed the opposite. I need hardly point out that what one sees as data is in the first place theory driven and lack of sympathy with a particular mode of explanation may make one discount or fail to recognise any evidence in its favour.

    I have sympathy for Bruno, who has apparently been treated
    unfairly by some in academia - but none for his theory.

If that is the case why do you continue to debate it?

Why not? I'm not sympathetic ( or antipathetic) to string theory either, but I discuss it because it might come to something.

Brent
"Some of my friends are string theorists, but I wouldn't want my daughter to marry one."
    --- Lawrence Krauss