On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 7:06 PM, David Nyman <da...@davidnyman.com> wrote:

​>> ​Physics prevents the above paradoxes because all of these
>> thought experiments  assume that space or time or both are infinitely
>> divisible, but quantum physics says there is a smallest length (1.6*10^-35
>> meter) and a smallest time (5.4*10^-43 seconds).
>

> ​
> ​> ​
> Yes indeed. But why in your view wouldn't this merely imply that whatever
> mathematics we invoke in explicating physics cannot thereby in the limit be
> continuous?​

​
Because there is no mathematical reason time or space or anything else
can't be continuous
​,​
nor can mathematics find anything special about the
​
numbers 1.6*10^-35
​
or
​
5.4*10^-43
​
, but physics can.
​ And mathematics can produce paradoxes but physics never can. ​

> ​> ​
> I know you take the view, which you reiterate above, that mathematics
> should be conceived exclusively in terms of the formalised mathematical
> intuitions we derive from observation of a physical externality. And if you
> find you cannot in the last analysis accept a viable distinction between
> mathematics defined in this way and its more abstract generalisation then
> of course computationalism in the sense I'm discussing it here can make no
> sense to you.

It makes sense to me
​that​
​
 Information is physical because non-reversible computation uses energy and
increases entropy
​. ​C
omputationalism says
​
the human mind is a
​
information processing system
​
and thinking is a form of
​computation
,
​
and that
​
makes sense to me
​ too​
.

> ​>​
> Roger Penrose, for example, has defended very robustly the view of the
> "discovery" rather than the invention of mathematical truths.

​In mathematics you start with certain axioms and agree to follow certain
rules on how to manipulate those axioms, and if you follow those rules
without error then we say the result is mathematically true, but all we're
really saying is that in the language of mathematics the result is
grammatically correct.
Noam Chomsky
​famously gave an example of a sentence in another language, the English
language, that was correct grammatically but meant nothing:  ​

​"*The ​c*
*olorless green ideas sleep furiously*
*​*"​

​  John K Clark​