On 16 May 2017, at 23:32, John Clark wrote:

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 2:44 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​>> ​​​T​here is no mathematical reason time or space or anything else can't be continuous​,​ nor can mathematics find anything special about the​ numbers 1.6*10^-35​ or​ 5.4*10^-43​ , but physics can.​ And mathematics can produce paradoxes but physics never can. ​

​> ​You confuse a mathematical reality, like the standard model of arithmetic, or a group, with the theory about such object.

​You're right, I am confused why you believe a model of something is entirely different from a theory of the something. ​

Have you heard of model theory? It is also called semantic. A model is the math version of a reality. A theory is a finite object (a set of formula) pointing of a reality. Physicists used model in the sense of theory. Logician use model in the sense of the semantic of a theory.

Logician used model in the same sense as a painter. the model is the naked person that we draw, or the panorama, and in that image; the drawing is the theory. Physicist use model in the sense of the little kids: the model of a car is a little toy.

Exemple: take RA or PA. The (standard) model is the mathematical structure (N, 0, +, *). Or take the axiom of group. Those axioms give the theory, and a model is any group.

By incompleteness, no theories can prove the existence of a model of itself. That would be equivalent (by Gödel-Henkin completeness theorem) to proving its own consistency.

Completeness theorem: a theory is consistent if and only if the theory has a model.

Note that this is false for some higher order logic.

​> ​You cannot produce a contradictory mathematical reality, only a false theory,

​So what is the correct purely mathematical ​theory that would avoid the paradoxes I described? After 2 minutes is that Zeno lamp on or off? How many balls are in that box, a infinite number or zero? According to you the fact that nobody can physically make such a lamp or box makes no difference, so there is an answer, so let's have it!

You need to make it mathematically clear before. If not, it is like saying a false mathematical proposition, or a senseless one. We can do that with physics too.

​> ​Mathematics is not a language.

​Most mathematicians would disagree. ​

?

Most mathematician agree with that idea, especially after Gödel proved his incompleteness theorem, but all non go theorem in math, like sqrt(2) is not a ratio can be used to develop that intuition. Read hardy "a mathematician's apology".

Then logicians made that clear, by distinguishing precisely the languages from the theories, and the models of a theory from that theory.

​> ​We can build reversible computer, so we can implement all computation without erasing memories

​True.​

​> ​and without using energy.

​False. You still need energy, you can make the amount​ of energy​ arbitrary small​ with a reversible computer if you can also keep the computer arbitrarily well isolated from unwanted interactions​,​ but the less energy you use the slower the calculation and if you use zero energy the calculation​ will​ grind to a halt.​ ​And besides energy you certainly need matter to perform calculations.

I need energy to impolement the computation, but the computation itself will not need energy. Of course, I will need energy for the read and write, and any use of the computation.

That is true in arithmetic already, so energy is itself an indexical coming from self-reference. The need of energy in our physical implementation of computer is thus not relevant, and only an emerging (logically) aspect of arithmetic when viewed through the "material points of view" (like Bp & p with p sigma_1).

​> ​​Information would be physical if Everett was false,

​I don't see what Everett has to do with it.​

If everett is false, and if QM is correct, information and mind have to be physical to reduce the wave packet at a distance, and many magic thing like that. Of course, that is the main reason to believe in Everett, or more correctly, to disbelieve in any wave packet reduction.

​> ​and von Neumann correct, like with a reduction of the wave packet by consciousness. But then we get 3p​ [blah blah]​

​Screw peepee screw baby talk.

Well, this is not convincing, especially when you don't put the quote entirely.

​​>> ​In mathematics you start with certain axioms

​> ​Hoping they are true on the reality we intend to reason about.

​There are a infinite number of axioms that mathematicians could have started out with, why did they pick the particular ones that they did?

It depends on the application, or, in pure mathematics, from their taste. The mathematical reality is ample. it contains many structures obeying to different theories.

Because there were best ones they could find that conformed with the word that they saw around them.

That is the particular case of (theoretical) physics.

In every case physics leads and mathematics follows.  ​

If that is true, computationalism is false. That's the point. You present physicalism like if it was metaphysically proved. Obviopusly, that is not the case, and there are no evidences at all for it, only evidences of the contrary, unless you eliminate consciousness, person, etc. I think you beg the question.

​>> ​and agree to follow certain rules on how to manipulate those axioms, and if you follow those rules without error then we say the result is mathematically true,

​> ​No. Not only we don't do that, but we cannot do that. G does not prove []p -> p. ​ ​You confuse formal mathematics, which is like asking a machine, and doing mathematics oneself, which is an informal task.

​Mathematicians get hunches ​just like everybody else ​but they don't publish hunches, they try to manufacture their hunch by manipulating the axioms using the agreed on rules of the game​,​ and if they find way to do that then and only then they publish. Many mathematicians have a hunch that Goldbach's conjecture​ ​is true but nobody has been able to construct it by manipulating the fundamental axioms, and that's why it's called a conjecture and not a theory and that's why they say it hasn't been proved.

OK. sale for any science.

​>> ​but all we're really saying is that in the language of mathematics the result is grammatically correct.

​> ​Not that is plain false. Read any book in logic.

​Formal logic just like mathematics starts out with axioms and ways to manipulate them

Mathematicians and logicians proves their theorem informally, without any axioms. Logicians are interested in formalism, but, like any mathematicians, they make the proofs informally, in english, relying on their intuition and familiarity of a domain. You confuse the informal theories about formal theories and machine and the formal theories themselves. It is akin to the confusion between brain and mind, or theories and models.

and logicians learned which ones to use and which ones not to use by observing how the world works. ​For example, logicians observe that in our physical world things usually continue, and that's how they know about induction.

You defend conventionalism in mathematics.

​C​onventionalism​ says that axioms in ​mathematics​ should be chosen for the results they produce not for their coherence with the physical world​, and I'm saying the opposite of that.​

​> ​It is simply refuted by the incompleteness theorems,

​It says that no language, not even mathematics, ​ ​can describe everything about the world in a way that is free of all paradoxes, I don't see how that supports your view.

It says that no theories can describe everything already about the arithmetical reality.

Bruno

John K Clark​