On 26/05/2017 8:44 pm, David Nyman wrote:
On 26 May 2017 2:26 a.m., "Bruce Kellett" <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au <mailto:bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>> wrote:

    On 26/05/2017 9:11 am, David Nyman wrote:
    On 25 May 2017 23:18, "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net
    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

I have told you my theory of virtuous circular explanations. "Invoke" is a pejorative attribution. The physical universe
        is an */inference /*to explain appearances (and a very
        successful one at that).

    Vocabulary. The point is, assuming mechanism (and please do tell
    me if you're reasoning in a different theory), that the inference
    is to a particular *selection* of computations from the
    computational plenitude. And why is that? Because they 'explain'
    the appearances. But do they really? Are those computations - in
    and of themselves - really capable of 'explaining' why or how
    they, and no others, come to be uniquely selected for our
    delectation? Are they really capable of 'explaining' why or how
    those selfsame appearances come to be present to us?

    I think you and Brent are using different notions of
    "explanation". As I understand your (David's) position, it is a
    notion of "explanation" originating with Plato: Plato's theory of
    Forms offered at the same time both a systematic explanation of
    things and also a connected epistemology of explanation.
    (Summaries from Jonathan Cohen in the Oxford Companion to
    Philosophy.) In other words, the Platonic ideal is that "Ontology
    precedes epistemology", to vary Brent's slogan. In the case of
    mechanism, the ontology is the natural numbers (plus arithmetic)
    and for an explanation to be acceptable, everything has to follow
    with the force of logical necessity from this ontology.

    As I understand Brent's position (and that is essentially the same
    as my position), his concept of "explanation" follows the
    tradition of British empirical philosophy, stemming from Bacon,
    through Hume, to Russell and others. In this tradition, to explain
    an observed characteristic is to show its relationship to a law in
    accordance with which the characteristic occurs or can be made to
    occur, and there is a hierarchy of such laws -- the more
    comprehensive laws are deemed more probable. This leads to the
    dominant model for explanation in the natural sciences, which
    requires the citation of one or more laws which, when conjoined
    with the statement of relevant facts, entail the occurrence of the
    phenomenon or uniformity that is to be explained. This does not
    rely on any assumed ontology; hence, "Epistemology precedes ontology".

Interesting analysis Bruce. However, I'm not sure if I can follow you on all points. I think you're right that in a strictly pragmatic sense epistemology does indeed precede ontology in that observation provides data on behalf of theory. But as Popper points out, what counts as data is already theory-dependent.

I think it is the interpretation of the data that is theory-dependent. But then you have a hierarchy of theories -- what is a new cutting-edge theory today is tomorrow's instrument for data taking.....

And the reductive aspect of theory is itself an implicitly ontological commitment.

Not for the pragmatic instrumentalist. Even committed scientific realists would only claim that it is only for our best, well-established, theories that there is any suggestion that the suggested entities actually exist.

So if a hierarchy of laws were to imply mutually inconsistent ontological commitments it would be to that extent incomplete and unsatisfactory. Indeed the holy grail of (Aristotelian?) science is a hierarchical "Theory of Everything" that is, in precisely this sense, ontologically consistent "bottom up all the way down", if you'll permit me a slogan of my own.

The search for such a TOE has a chequered record in the history of science. Some still hope that such a theory is possible, but the negative induction from the past record would not lead one to be optimistic that any such theory exists or is possible.

For these reasons I can't accept that your distinction between Platonic and Aristotelian modes of explanation has much real force. In practice, *any* effective mode of explanation must inexorably be constrained by its fundamental ontological commitments,

That is the case only on your account of "explanation". If explanation does not rely on an underlying ontology, then it is not constrained by any such assumed ontology. Not all explanations need be reducible to your model of explanation.

Bruce

on pain of inconsistency. If these are unclear, then part of the explanation is to make them explicit, on pain of obscurantism. And finally of course to count as an explanation it must be susceptible of constraint by evidence, on pain of pusillanimity.

David

    Wherever we want to derive a technology from scientific knowledge,
    we shall need to know what causes a desired effect. So we need to
    distinguish between different levels of explanation, in that
    while, for example, the disappearance of a patient's infection may
    be causally explained by his antibiotic injection, the operation
    of that causal process is in its turn to be explained by
    correlational laws of biochemistry. Hence, the understanding of
    consciousness in any effective way will be linked to the creation
    of effective AI.

    This is the paradigm of current scientific practice. Sure, as
    Bruno says, this stems ultimately from an Aristotelian approach to
    science rather than the Platonic approach. But the history of
    Western thought has shown the scientific, or Aristotelian,
    approach to have been overwhelmingly more successful, both in
    developing technology and in reaching understanding of the nature
    of reality.

    Bruce