On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 9:37:28 PM UTC-7, John Clark wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 3:31 PM, <agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> ​> ​
>> Why not just assume the wf collapses by an as-yet unknown process?
>>

> ​You can do that if you want, but Bell proved that if his inequality is
> violated, and we now know from experiment that it is, and if that unknown
> process is deterministic then the world is non-local or non-realistic or
> both.

Bell showed, and experiments confirm, that our universe is non-local. I
think that's the case whether or not the proposed collapse process is
deterministic. But if it is deterministic, it messes up physics as Brent
earlier indicated. So I suppose it can't be deterministic. And if not
deterministic, I think we're back to collapse, and there doesn't seem to be
any way to resolve the randomness, the resolution of which I had in mind.

What is your definition of non-realistic? TIA.

> ​
>

>> ​> ​
>> Then, unlike MWI, you have a theory within the realm of testable physics
>> and no need to explain where the energy comes from to create those other
>> worlds
>>

> ​That is not unique to the MWI. In a accelerating  ​Einsteinian universe
> such as ours energy is not conserved at the cosmological level.

There was some unique condition that gave rise to our universe. MWI has it
happening wily-nily when someone performs a slit experiment in a lab (and
uncountably many times). Hardly a conservative interpretation IMO.

>> ​> ​
>> Is collapse so repugnant  (how so?)
>>

> ​It's repugnant because the mathematics say nothing about a collapse, the C
> openhagen
> ​ people just wave there arms and say that it does when a observation is
> made, and they can't even say what is observation is. ​

I can. They can. In a SG experiment, e.g., an observation occurs when the
electron's spin state is aligned, or anti-aligned to the magnetic field.

> Can only a person make a observation or can a cockroach collapse the wave
> function too?

Feynman is conclusive on this point. No person or cockroach needed; just an
instrument to record the result.

> And what observed the universe at the Big Bang?  If it's God what is
> observing God? The MWI is actually very conservative, it just assumes the
> mathematics means what it says and it doesn't stick on a bunch of other
> stuff as Copenhagen does.

Does every event require an observer or instrument to witness it? I think
not.