On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 1:01 AM, <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> What is your definition of non-realistic?

Nonrealistic means ​when something is not being observed it doesn't exist
in any one definite state.​

​ A photon ​hits a horizontally polarizing filter and the universe splits
in two if Many Worlds is right, in one the photon makes it through the
filter and the inhabitants of that world conclude it is 100% horizontally
polarized , in the other world it doesn't get through the filter and they
conclude it must have been 100% vertically polarized, but in the world
before the split, before it hit the filter, the inhabitants of that world
would conclude (if they believed in Many Worlds) that the photon did not
have any one definite polarized state at all.

​
>> ​>> ​
>> That is not unique to the MWI. In a accelerating  ​Einsteinian universe
>> such as ours energy is not conserved at the cosmological level.
>>

> ​> ​
> There was some unique condition that gave rise to our universe.

​The multiverse may have always existed, if so then nothing, unique or
otherwise, gave rise to it,​

> ​> ​
> MWI has it happening wily-nily when someone performs a slit experiment in
> a lab (and uncountably many times). Hardly a conservative interpretation
> IMO.

​Many Worlds is very conservative if the mathematics doesn't say ​
​anything about a wave collapse. And it doesn't.

​>> ​
>> they can't even say what is observation is. ​
>>

> ​> ​
> I can. They can. In a SG experiment, e.g., an observation occurs when the
> electron's spin state is aligned, or anti-aligned to the magnetic field.

​Observation is the wrong word if no observer is involved, then its just a
change and a change is the criteria Many Worlds uses. In MWI everything
that can happen does happen, so when a photon approaches 2 slits the
universe splits and one photon goes through the right slit and one goes
through the left slit. If after that the photons hit a photographic plate
(or a brick wall) then the photons no longer exist in either universe and
so they merge back together into one universe and this merger causes the
interference lines. If instead after passing the slits there is no
photographic plate (or brick wall) and the photons are allowed to continue
on into infinite space then the 2 universes remain different and remain
separated forever.

The universe splits because there is a difference, in one the photon went
through the left slit and in another it went through the right slit, and
the wave function never collapses it just keeps on going. And there is
nothing special about me, I split just like everything else in the
universe, the fact that I am conscious is irrelevant.  That's another great
advantage of Many Worlds, unlike Copenhagen it doesn't need to explain what
consciousness is or how it works because consciousness has nothing to do
with it.

> ​>> ​
>> Can only a person make a observation or can a cockroach collapse the wave
>> function too?
>>

> ​> ​
> Feynman is conclusive on this point. No person or cockroach needed; just
> an instrument to record the result.

​If an instrument is anything that can exist in at least 2 states then I
would be fine with that, but that sounds much more like Many Worlds than
Copenhagen. ​All that's needed is a change, any change, it need not be
anything as dramatic as a change in something as complex as a brain.

​> ​
> Does every event require an observer or instrument to witness it? I think
> not.

​I think ever observation requires a observer to witness a change, and
Copenhagen requires an observation to trigger the collapse of the wave
function. Many Worlds just requires a simple change to trigger a split, a
change in anything, and nothing triggers
the collapse o
​f​
the wave function
​ because the mathematics doesn't even hint at such a thing happening, the
Copenhagen people just tacked that on. Somebody said that Many Worlds is
cheap on assumptions but expensive in universes and I think that's true,
I'm a fan because universes are cheaper than assumptions. ​

  John K Clark