On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 11:24:15 PM UTC-7, agrays...@gmail.com
wrote:

> On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 11:15:33 AM UTC-7, John Clark wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 1:01 AM, <agrays...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ​> ​
>>> What is your definition of non-realistic?
>>>

>> Nonrealistic means ​when something is not being observed it doesn't exist
>> in any one definite state.​
>>
>> ​
>>

> You have to be careful here. For example, when the Earth-Moon system
> formed, it existed in a definite state, but was NOT observed. So not
> everything in a definite state must be observed, by detectors or conscious
> entities. OTOH, when an electron is prepared for a double slit experiment,
> it is in a superposition of states; that is, NOT in a definite state. If it
> were in a definite state, we'd observe the classical probability
> distribution. So quantum experiments, and QM in general to the extent it
> relies on superposition of states, is NONREALISTIC, whereas the macro world
> is generally REALISTIC. I can't speak to why the macro world is realistic.

FWIW, I left out an important reason why some systems are in definite
states, like macro systems, and others not, such as quantum systems
prepared for measurements. It's likely related to whether the systems in
question are ISOLATED.

A photon ​hits a horizontally polarizing filter and the universe splits in