On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 7:10:03 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

> On 5/1/2019 4:24 PM, cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
> > I would say that one could have a Jupiter planet-sized network of
> > Intel® Core™ processors + whatever distributed program running on it,
> > and it will not be conscious.
>
> Based on what?  Human hubris?
>
> Brent

A racist is [via Google definition] "a person who shows or feels
discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes
that a particular race is superior to another".

I'm not that, but I do think that different types of matter have different
capabilities (as materials scientists do).

I am a materialist.

On the other hand, the  *new materialists* [
https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/mirroring-and-mattering-science-politics-and-the-new-feminist-materialism/
 ]

reconceptualize “the terms of social theory, such that the social is seen
as a part of, rather than distinct from, the natural, an undertaking that
requires a rethinking of the natural too.” In this newly monist view, the
proper response to the threat of biological determinism — the claim that
biology is destiny or that our fate lies in our genes — is not to reject
the natural sciences and assert the primacy of the social, nor indeed to
treat the world as text, but rather to grasp the inseparability of the
“bio” and the “social,” as captured in the word “biosocial.” In place of a
linguistic process of representing the world, the new materialism proposes
“mattering” as the generative process through which matter comes into
being.

*Material stuff — bodies, tools, objects — are understood as imbued with
vitality and dynamic force. *

This is a philosophical claim, but one that entails a political
sensibility. And while materialism is a venerable school of thought, this
conception of “mattering” seems, as I have suggested, very much of the
moment.

@philipthrift