I think that is right.  But when you consider some simplified cases, e.g. a computation written out on paper (or Bruno's movie graph) it becomes apparent that consciousness must ultimately refer to other things.  Much is made of "self-awareness" but this is usually just having an internal model of one's body, or social standing or some other model of the self.  It is not consciousness of consciousness...that is only a temporal reflection: "I was conscious just now."  In general terms we could say consciousness is awareness of the evironment, where that includes one's body.  Damasio identifies emotions as awareness of the bodies state.  The point is that the stuff of which we are aware and which we find agreement with other people's awareness is what we infer to be the physical world.  It might be possible to be conscious in some sense without a physical world, but it would be qualitatively different.

Brent