> On 19 Jul 2019, at 10:51, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.net> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019, at 20:09, John Clark wrote:

>> Why?
>>
>> Ask Alonzo Church the inventor of Lambda Calculus who admitted it's true,
>> and so did Godel.
>>
>> > The so called LISP machine implements combinators and lambda expression
>>
>> LISP machines were just Turing Machines that incorporated common subroutines
>> used in the LISP language in HARDWARE to enabled them to run faster, but by
>> the early 1990's microprocessors had gotten so fast that cheap home
>> computers ran faster than any dedicated LISP machine and that's why nobody
>> makes them anymore.
>
> Nobody ever used the Turing Machine as an architecture for computation,
> outside of theoretical domains. Not even Turing himself, for the simple
> reason that it would be terribly inefficient. Even though it is possible to
> build a finite Turing Machine, it was always meant to be a model of
> computation that made it easy to talk about its theoretical aspects.
>
> Computers to this day mostly follow the Von Neumann architecture, with its
> familiar CPU, memory unit, I/O bus, etc. Due to economic effects related to
> production at scale, it is very hard to change the underlying architecture of
> general computation once one takes hold. The fact that we us Von Neumann
> machines instead of LISP machines or connection machines is probably just a
> historical accident more than anything else.
>
> Things are now starting to change, due to the adoption of Graphics Processing
> Units (GPUs), first for real time 3D rendering (computer games) and then for
> Machine Learning tasks. GPUs are in fact a different architecture, highly
> parallelizable, while Von Neumann is ultimately sequential (the illusion of
> parallelism is created by the Operating System). Modern computers, including
> the one you are probably using, are already hybrid-architecture, with
> parallel Von Neumann machines (multiple CPUs) + GPUs. If you play a modern
> computer game, you will be enjoying the collaborative efforts of these two
> (three?) architectures.
>
> It seems clear to me that Turing Machines, Van Neumann Machines and GPUs are
> just implementations of something which is purely abstract -- computation.
>
> You insist that nobody has been able to produce a computer without using
> matter. I agree. What you refuse to consider is the possibility that matter
> is the dream of computations, and not the other way around. Whatever we are,
> it seems clear that we are bound to perceive reality as made of matter, but
> it doesn't follow that matter is the ultimate reality. This is just Plato's
> Cave with modern language.

You are right. I would say, contra Clark, that today a lot of work is
concentrated to implementing the lambda calculus into graph reduction machine,
making them directly related to natural physical implementations. This allows
to keep the functional approach to computation, respect a big amount of the
so-called “functional abstraction” which makes easier to specify the
denotational semantics of the programs. The Lisp machine was born with such
idea at its roots.

The Turing machine can be said more theoretical than Lambda calculus, and their
close cousins: the combinators. But the Turing machine are pedagogically very
simple, although, as I have illustrated with the combinators, much less tedious
to be used to prove the Turing universality, although it has become the most
used in textbook, not because they are more physical or natural, but more close
to the human, and *that* is what convince Gödel of the Turing-Church thesis.

Bruno