On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 6:50:01 AM UTC-5, telmo wrote:

> Hi Philip,
>
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019, at 10:18, Philip Thrift wrote:
>

> On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 3:52:05 AM UTC-5, telmo wrote:

> You insist that nobody has been able to produce a computer without using
> matter. I agree. What you refuse to consider is the possibility that matter
> is the dream of computations, and not the other way around. Whatever we
> are, it seems clear that we are bound to perceive reality as made of
> matter, but it doesn't follow that matter is the ultimate reality. This is
> just Plato's Cave with modern language.
>
> Telmo.
>

> I've been perplexed for 50 years how the idea of immaterialism (that there
> is something other than matter) came to be.
>

> I was listening to a podcast the other day where Sam Harris interviewed
> his own wife. For those who don't know, Sam Harris is a neuroscientist who
> became rather famous for being an outspoken atheist, and writing books such
> as "The End of Faith". Sam's wife wrote a book about the hard problem of
> consciousness. They both discussed in the beginning their perplexity at how
> so many of their highly-educated friends did not seem to understand the
> hard problem of consciousness and, more precisely, how materialism
> completely fails to account for the first-person view of reality or, in
> other words, the fact that "the light are on" inside of us.
>
> I invite you to listen if you have some patience for it:
> https://samharris.org/podcasts/159-conscious/
>
> You will listen to two people who could not be less suspect of believing
> in ghosts or any other kind of similar woo.
>
> I share their perplexity. The idea of immaterialism is natural (and arises
> thousands of years ago), because the only thing that we cannot doubt (as
> Descartes pointed out) -- our consciousness -- is immaterial. There is not
> scientific instrument that can detect consciousness.
>
> On a side note: people have been citing John Clark as the hard-nosed
> personality who keeps Bruno's crazy ideas in check, but notice that beyond
> some weird political confluence of opposed personalities (who really only
> have in common their personal disgust for Bruno), John Clark himself agrees
> with me on this: that our own subjective experience is the most important
> thing there is, and that consciousness cannot be detected by scientific
> instruments. He will contradict me if I am wrong about this.
>
> The so-called abstractions - like the definition of the Turing machine you
> read in a textbook - are just fictions. But fictions can be useful. Maybe
> there should be a better word for useful fictions. Math is as good as any,
> for part of that anyway.
>

> I looked up the definition of "fiction" and found this:
>
> fiction
> /ˈfɪkʃ(ə)n/
> noun: *fiction*; plural noun: *fictions*
>
>    1. 1.
>    literature in the form of prose, especially novels, that describes
>    imaginary events and people.
> [...]

I'm using "useful fiction" here of course as in the fictionalist philosophy
of mathematics:

   https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/fictionalism-mathematics/

Materialism goes back to ancient Greece and India. Immaterialism goes back
(at least) to Plato ("theory of 'Forms'"). *Plato for philosophy is like
the Adam of original sin.*

On consciousness and matter, see of course

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/16/opinion/consciousness-isnt-a-mystery-its-matter.html

@philipthrift