On 17-09-2019 09:16, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 5:08 PM Alan Grayson <agrayson2...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 1:02:39 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 4:51 PM Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 3:54:46 PM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 9:22 AM Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com>
wrote:

_> When physics began to give non-intuitive results, in QM AND
Relativity, people when overboard. Now any patently absurd result
finds its justification among true believers._

And in this context "patently absurd" means odd, not logically
contradictory not paradoxical not contrary to experimental results,
just odd. But as far as we know there is no law that says nature
can't behave in ways that humans find odd.

Many "odd" results are now mainstream, but MWI is bridge too far, way
too far IMO. Why don't you just accept that the wf is simply
irrelevant after the measurement occurs like in the horserace
example?. Here, there's no collapse, no many worlds, no need to
explain where the energy comes from which defines these worlds, and so
forth? AG

Except that horses and horse races do not interfere (except in
Australia, where several jockeys and trainers have recently been
suspended for unauthorised interference -- but that is a different
matter!)

Bruce

I know. I was just being illustrative. But note that Carroll says much
the same thing when he says worlds are created when you make a left or
right turn, or flip a coin (or some equivalent analogy). AG

And that is where Sean slips inevitably into woo-woo.

No, this is a rather solid result from assuming the validity of the Schrodinger equation:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1212.0953

"We argue using simple models that all successful practical uses of probabilities originate in quantum fluctuations in the microscopic physical world around us, often propagated to macroscopic scales. Thus we claim there is no physically verified fully classical theory of probability. We comment on the general implications of this view, and specifically question the application of classical probability theory to cosmology in cases where key questions are known to have no quantum answer. We argue that the ideas developed here may offer a way out of the notorious measure problems of eternal inflation."

Saibal